Saint George’s Arma Monastery of Fylla Village
It is located 15 km far away of the festival in a splendid area full of pine and olive trees. The monastery and its area has become popular destination and many travellers enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the surrounding nature.
Today’s temple is built on an older Christian church of the 13th – 14th century which was built on the foundations of an ancient pagan temple.
The temple of the monastery is a valuable archaeological monument. It consists of three parts: the main temple, the narthex and the Baptistery site. The main temple is an example of architectural excellence. There are still remnants of frescoes and hagiography which are preserved in a very good condition: such as the martyrdom of St. George, the life of the Lord, the image of Hell, the Zodiac circle etc. In the narthex there is an ancient marble slab of the 5th century BC (armor) bearing four-wheel meander in the formed rectangles, in the middle of the four sides. Finally, it is worth mentioning that during the Ottoman period, the monastery was an important spiritual center for the region. A great personality of the Greek Revolution of 1821, the monk Neofytos Adam grew up in the monastery.